Monday, May 24, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies + Healthy = BFF's



Can it be true then? A chocolate chip cookie that is...(dare I say it??) quite healthy and delicious?! I know...I KNOW. This can't be true.

Last week was a disaster at my house. Who knew how crippling a broken fridge could be until it actually happened. We ended up trying to eat most of the perishable veggies, fruits, meats, and drinks. However, I couldn't get myself to eat all those creamy ice cream tubs that we have collected over the past several months (thanks to church people who seem to bring ice cream every time they come over). Seeing as I didn't want to become Augustus Gloop anytime soon, we sadly had to toss all our ice cream. *GASP* R.I.P Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Daz, and Skinny Cow.

So there I was, standing in the kitchen. The last stick of I can't believe it's not butter (which, by the way, really does taste like butter) was in my fridge calling out to be used. Therefore, I decided to make a dessert that I could eat without killing the 3 miles of running I had just ran prior to this fiasco (secretly, I ran 1 mile and walked 2).

Here we are: The World's Healthiest Chocolate Chip Cookie. It's soft, it's good, and it's been tested! They are awesome right out of the oven and with a tall glass of cold milk.
Taken from some healthy person's blog:

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar (I used Splenda)

1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature (I used the substitute)

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla

1 TBL milk (nonfat)

1 cup whole wheat flour (make sure it's 100%)

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cinnamon

a dash of nutmeg

1 cup uncooked quick rolled oats

3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used 60% bittersweet chocolate)

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the sugars in an electric mixer. Cream the sugars with the softened butter. Add in the egg, vanilla, and milk. Cream until smooth. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if using). Add slowly to the wet mixture until incorporated. Once smooth, stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and walnuts. Using a teaspoon or a small ice cream/cookie scoop, drop rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. Makes around 2 dozen (depending on the size of your cookies).

No comments:

Post a Comment