Saturday, August 25, 2012

Award-winning Apple Pie

When I say this apple pie is "award-winning," I mean it! This apple pie is one of the best recipes I've ever encountered in my life...IN MY LIFE! It's from All Recipes, has 5 stars, and with over 4,600 reviews. It's even better than most pie specialty restaurants (ehem...M.C. and P*lly's). It might even be better than McDonald's apple pie. Yup, you read that correctly. I think McDonald's apple pie is one of my favorite pies, although I don't know if you could officially call it a pie, but I would, and I think it's great.

Here are some pointers when making this recipe. I've had a couple issues when melting the butter and the flour to make the paste. If your burner is on too hot, the butter will burn and you won't be able to make the paste that is required before adding the sugars. So make sure you turn your burner to low, and whisk the flour in as soon as all the butter is melted. This will ensure that the butter and flour become the correct consistency. I've ruined this recipe twice already by burning my butter, and you don't know how sad it is when you have to throw away a precious stick of butter each time you overcook it, especially if the butter is high quality and EXPENSIVE! 

Also, when pouring the liquid onto the pie, pour SLOWLY. In fact, I just spoon the liquid into the holes and over the crust just to make sure every nook and cranny gets an even amount of sauce. 

Other than that, I followed everything exactly as written with the exception of sprinkling some cinnamon over the crust and a couple dashes in the sauce before pouring. I think cinnamon adds a warm touch to the pie. 

Here it is before going into the oven:

















Right out of the oven. Notice the sauce is still bubbling up from the heat! Yum~ but don't eat it until it has cooled.
















Apple Pie by Grandma Ople

Ingredients

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
  2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

1 comment: