Friday, June 18, 2010

Apples Galore #2


On to my second dessert using my MINI-Granny smith apples. When I first watched Julie & Julia, there were 3 things that caught my attention: the bruschetta, the boeuf bourguignon, and the apple tarte tatin.

I thought that the little mini apples would be the perfect size to decorate my apple tarte tatin, and they were! These apples seem like they were born to be part of this tart. I forget how many apples I used, but I guess you can count them in the picture.


I don't own an oven-proof skillet so I had to improvise this recipe. I first cooked the sugar, water, and butter in a skillet. Here's what they mean when the recipe calls for a "rich golden color":


Then I transferred the apples to a cake pan and drizzled the syrupy goodness all over...


Final product:


Apple Tarte Tatin adapted from this website:

Ingredients:

  • 6 to 8 large firm, sweet apples (such as Northern Spy, Winesap, Granny Smith, Golden Delicious or Mutsu), peeled and halved
  • 1 to 2 lemons, halved
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 pound homemade or store-bought puff pastry (I used a pie crust)
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Core apples using a melon baller to retain the rounded shape of the apples. Rub the cut surfaces of the apples with the juice from the lemons to prevent browning. Set aside.
  2. In a 10-inch cast-iron or heavy metal skillet over medium heat, heat the sugar and water. Cook the mixture until it turns a rich golden color, swirling the pan occasionally, about 6 to 7 minutes.
  3. On a lightly floured surface, roll the puff pastry in one direction into a circle that measures about 14 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Brush off any excess flour with a pastry brush.
  4. Add the butter to the skillet. Once the butter is melted, add as many apple slices as possible to the skillet, positioning them so that the rounded sides face down. Remove the skillet from the heat and top the apple slices with the puff pastry. Fold the edges of the pastry under and crimp them slightly. Make two to three small cuts in the puff pastry to allow the steam to escape. Place the tart in the oven to bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake until the pastry turns golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
  5. Remove the tart from the oven and let cool for 2 minutes. Gently loosen the edges with a knife. Carefully place a plate over the skillet and flip, inverting the Tarte Tartin. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment