Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lemonade Cupcakes



Summer is here and the drink that seems the most refreshing during this season is lemonade. For a dear friend's birthday, I offered to bring the cake. Since it was going to be an outdoor picnic-style dinner, I figured that cupcakes would be easier to eat than a normal cake. And what could possibly be a better way to welcome summer and celebrate a birthday than with lemonade cupcakes?!

I was originally planning on doing a simple, lemon cream cheese frosting...


But after talking to a few people, I decided to do a strawberry frosting as well. And after talking to one more person, I decided to try a raspberry frosting too! Was I crazy? Definitely.


So here's the recipe for the lemon cupcakes AND all 3 frostings:

Lemon Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
zest of 2 lemons
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons lemon extract


Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting adapted from My Baking Addiction: (I cut everything in half because I didn't need that much frosting)
2 (8) ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter, softened
2 lbs. confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
juice of one lemon (I used 1 teaspoon of lemon extract)

Using a mixer, blend the butter and cream cheese together until well combined. Gradually add in the confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated. Finally mix in vanilla and lemon juice.

Raspberry/Strawberry Cream Frosting adapted from Squidoo: (Also cut in half)
1 pint raspberries or strawberries
2 pints heavy whipping cream + 4 tablespoons
1/4 cup powdered sugar

In a blender, blend berries and 4 tbls heavy cream. Set aside. Whip the rest of the heavy cream in a stand mixer until thick. Slowly add the berry mixture and the sugar until it becomes smooth.


Final product before heading out!


No comments:

Post a Comment