Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Last of the Apples



After this post, I refuse to do anything with apples for awhile. It's not that I hate apples, but I'm starting to get sick of trying to find different ways to use all the apples I bought. So here's the last of the bunch. I decided to make 3 mini-apple pies to commemorate Father's Day. Luckily, my whole family loves apple pie! The filling is a little sketchy in terms of the ingredient measurements, but I'll do my best to make it accurate.



Ingredients
1 refrigerated pie crust
1 gala apple cut into 1/4" cubes
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
4 dashes of ground cinnamon
2 dashes of ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon cold butter

Preheat the oven to 350F.
1. Peel and core the apple and cut up into 1/4" cubes.
2. In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. Add apples to bowl and mix to combine.
4. Unroll the chilled pie crust and use a cupcake pan to measure out 3 round pie crusts. Make sure you make the pie crust a little bit bigger than the actually size of the cupcake hole.
5. Gently press the crust into pan so the the edges of the crust
6. Fill each individual pie crust with the apple mixture 'til about 1/4" above the surface. Dot the top of the pie with butter.
7. Use the rest of the leftover dough to create a lattice top. Brush egg white on top for a shiny surface.
8. Bake until the tops of the pies are golden brown and apples are tender, about 30 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment